How a Spiritual Journal Can Help you Find God’s Plan for You
Do you believe God has a plan for your life? I do!
I think it’s easy to get distracted by our day-to-day responsibilities that we forget that we are here for a purpose. A purpose that God has prepared in advance for us.
Ephesians 2:10 (NIV) For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
What Work has God Prepared in Advance for you?
- Maybe you think you know the plans God has for you, but then self-doubt creeps in.
- Or maybe you have no idea what God’s plan is for your life, but you feel like something is missing.
I believe starting a spiritual journal can help you discover God's plan for your life.
PIN IT FOR LATER
What is a Spiritual Journal, and How Does it Shed Light on your Purpose?
- A Spiritual journal documents your journey with Jesus.
- It's a place to record your thoughts, hopes, and plans as they relate to where Jesus is leading you.
- A spiritual journal is an open-ended conversation with God.
If you stick with journaling, you’ll start to see patterns and themes immerge. These are the clues Jesus is leaving for you. Go here to learn more about discovering the clues Jesus leaves for you.
How to Start a Spiritual Journal
Step 1: Build a Friendship with Jesus
- Make time to have a conversation with Jesus. Ask Him to open your eyes to where He is leading you. Then for the hard part-sit in silence and listen for Him.
- So many times, we rush through our prayers with Jesus that we forget the most important step-to listen for Him. Take some time to be still and listen.
Tip: Find a quiet space, set the timer on your phone for 10 minutes, close your eyes, and be still.
Recognizing how your thoughts are woven together with Jesus’ plans for you takes time. It takes building a friendship with Jesus so you can begin to identify His ways, not earthly ways.
Keeping a spiritual journal is one way to build a friendship with Jesus. If you are interested in learning other ways to build a friendship with Jesus, check out this article here.
Step 2: Gather your Supplies for your Spiritual Journal
- Notebook or Binder
Tip: If your happy place is organizing (mine is), use a 3-ring binder. You'll start to see patterns emerge in your spiritual journal. Having a 3-ring binder gives you the flexibility to rearrange your pages by themes.
- Pen or Pencil
- Make it fun, so you’ll look forward to grabbing it and jotting down your thoughts.
- A Quiet Space
- Brainstorm some different areas in your home that are free from distraction.
Tip: If you think better in nature, switch it up and write outside when the weather is nice.
- An Open Mind
- An open mind and heart are the most important things you need when writing in your spiritual journal.
- We can be so focused on our way that we don't look for other options. Don't forget to make room in your thoughts for Jesus to guide you on His plan for you.
Step 3: Ask for Help through Prayer
- Before each entry, say a prayer asking for wisdom to see where Jesus is leading you on that day.
What to Write in your Spiritual Journal
There are many different things you can write when journaling for God's plan for your life. Some ideas to get you started:
- Write about the things you feel passionate about.
- Is there a particular cause you feel drawn to?
- What is something that you lose track of time doing?
- Jot down any questions you have for Jesus about your purpose.
- Journal about a time you noticed God at work in your day.
If you are looking for more direction in your spiritual journal, download the 10-Questions to Answer when Searching for your God-Given Purpose in Life.
SHORT ON TIME? Pin it for Later